Thursday, June 01, 2006

Mid-week runs

After my weekend run and my decision to try some electonica to run to I threw a post up on vorb.org.nz asking for thoughts on good electronic music for running to. Being an old punker I had no idea what artists – DJs – whatever fit into any genre that would be good to run, I do know that drum and bass wouldn’t work and that is it. I did get a whole bunch of suggestions, including a few not too obvious ones like old industrial bands like Front 242 and KMFDM.

I found a few “samples” on the internet and loaded up the MP3 playing phone and took off for a 10k night run on Tuesday night. I was planning on doing the last of the "hog" runs but my daughters car broke down so I had to pick her up and go wait for the tow truck, luckily the repairs only cost $45 - new fan belt.

The night was cool and clear with no wind, a perfect night for running. Some of the music worked and some didn’t, but I kept up a good pace, including the climb and posted a 51:21 – the fastest I have ever completed this loop in ever. Do not know if the music worked or not but after I had warmed up I quite quickly got in to that place where the mind goes blank and I can just run without thinking about anything except the rhythm of my breathing and running. I love a run like this, I am just so mentally refreshed when I get back – invigorating !

I followed that up the next night with a short run home from the salon where my daughter works, 23 minutes, not sure of the distance, felt good again but decided to take today off and aim to get a 20km run at the weekend.

The one issue is my road shoes are stuffed, my left shoe squeaks really badly and is quite annoying and I am starting to ‘feel’ the road through the sole as well. I have been looking for more road shoes but at $220 - $250 for a decent pair of Mizunos or Asics I am going to have to wait a few weeks. Will aim to do an “off road “Exhibition drive run at the weekend where I can use the Vasques without wearing them out too much.

Listening to bad Techno now to find appropriate vocal less tracks.

No comments: