Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Going back to a hardtail

I have been riding the hardtail SS for about 9 months and apart from not being fit enough to ride huge distances and strong enough to power up big climbs I have not really struggled with any of the technical aspects of riding. The riding in Riverhead over the past 2 weeks has proven that I do not need a fully suspended bike to have fun or keep up with my friends. Yes I may be a bit slower down the hills, but that is largely to do with having brakes that suck big time rather than suspension. There are also bits of track that I have never ridden before so having suspension doesn't make a huge amount of difference either way.

With a couple of longer rides coming up where I would not consider using the SS I was looking at my options, ultimately i would like a decent cross country fully suspended, but I just cannot afford 1 right now. I want a bike I can lock out the shock for the climbs, 1 with some decent dampening for the flat bits and no brake jack.

The Kona Dawg fully I have has been a good bike, but it is too slow for 'racing' and I want to be a bit more competetive this year if I do race. I was looking around at buying 2nd hand components and rebuilding the Cindercone but even that is going to be too costly. I am now planning on gutting the Dawg for front fork wheels, brakes, rear der and cluster, using the old front der. from the Cindercone, buying new BB, bars, headset and stem. Over time I will need to get new, lighter, wheels and a decent fork, but at leat this will get me started and I can get a reminder of what hardtial geared riding is all about...

Superchunk's "Cup of Sand" double CD is good, how did I doubt them...

No comments: