Monday, March 20, 2006

Round the Bays

Round the Bays is an annual 8.4km charity run held in Auckland. It has been going for decades and this year attracted about 75,000 walkers and runners.

I ran with the crew from my Hudson, my old employer. I was feeling a bit lagged after the long hot ride the day before, plus my ankle was still a bit tender and my Nikes are flogged out now.

The day was almost perfect for running, not too warm, reasonable cloud cover but no wind, I would have prefered a gentle breeze. I worked my way as close to the start as I could but not near enough to where I wanted to be. I know the day is a fun run and not a race, but the walkers are supposed to be on the left and I found my stuck behind families and prams and kids on bikes. Why can't these slow walkers start at the back. I am selfish I guess.

It took me close to 5 minutes to get to the start line after the gun went, and then I jumped the bushes and ran into the walkers section as that was moving faster than the runners. It still took another couple of minutes to even get running. The first 3 Km's is spent running around people walking in the middle of the road in large groups, so I of course got frustrated at a lack of rhythym and ended up going too fast. By Mission Bay I was feeling the pace and started to slow down before one of the Hudsun runners caught me and we ran together for a while before he moved off.

I left a bit for the final burst over the line and recorded a 43:40 from the start, by my watch and an official 47:47 from the gun. I was about a minute slower than last year which was OK and appeared to be 3rd out of about 60 in the Hudson crew, though some were walking !

My shoes need to go, there must be a split in the sole of my left shoe as it has been squeaking for a while now and was pinching my foot during the run.

I stopped for a couple of quick beers and a sausage and then went home to do the house work...

No comments: