Wednesday, March 22, 2006

First Commute

One thing I really hate about my new job is the lack of showering facilities. The nearest place that allow you to shower for a couple of bucks is the Tepid Baths and that is close to a kilometre away, which is no good for a 16km commute. The gym over the road from the office said I could use their showers if I joined for $100 a month. As I do have a company car park - I am not that keen to commute !

It finally occured to me the other day I could drive in with the bike, ride home and bus in the next day, not sure why it took until the end of summer but maybe it was because commuting on a fully suspended bike or a single speed with a 32:18 ratio would suck.

Anyway I cycled home last night, it took me about 41 minutes and I was in good condition when I got home. This is probably the fastest I have ever done the commute ride, and seeing as I have 2.3 inch knobbly tyres on I was well pleased.

Perfect conditions as well, warm and sunny, not too much traffic, but enough to keep the speads down.

I chose to ride up Queen St, Upper Queen to Dominion rd, then New North rd, St Judes, St Georges, Portage and Godley. New North is a shit of a road, 2 narrow lanes and a lot of traffic lights. If I ever get collected by a car it will be on this road.

I aime to commute by bike once or twice a week for as long as I can, which in previous years has not been long into autumn...

No comments: