Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Dinosaur Jr Gig

Well it has been 1 of those weeks. The highlight, and possibly only good thing, was Dinosaur Jr on Monday night, and even that had its moments.

The evening started OK, picked up Nick OK and started heading in to town, received a call from a friend who was in town to say that DJ were late arriving in the country due to flight problems so the doors would not be opening until 8.00 PM, an hour late. large crowd loitering outside the venue so Nick and I went to the London bar for a beer and it was packed with DJ attendees getting pre-lubricated. We finally got into the theatre about 8:30 and ended up swallowing some more beers - I just started to get into beer swallowing mode when I had to remind myself if it was a Monday night and I was driving - damn I hate that. The support band Kill Surf City came on and were damn good, I had never seen or heard them before, sort of a mix between Die Die Die and Jacob - maybe, hard to define, but excellent all the same.

DJ came on after about 30 minutes, looking older than last time I saw them in 1989, but man were they good, very loud, very tight. Awesome gig, they came back for 3 encores, the last 1 was after the house lights had come on. They did most of my favourites including their cover of the Cure's Just like heaven. They didn't do Yeah we Know, but I guess you cannot have everything. The crowd was bigger than I expected, maybe 1000, and a good mix of old folks and young uns. I watched them from the edge of the occasional mosh pit, and too close to the speakers...

I was deaf and tired for most of the next day, but it was worth it !

Tuesday night I made some adjustments to the Cindercone, set up bars and lever positions, put my spds on, longer seat post etc. I took it for a quick road spin and everything seemed to work OK.

Wednesday night I did not get out for a forest ride which annoyed the hell out of me, I was really looking forward to getting out there. Daylight saving ends this weekend so last night would have been the last time to get out for an after work ride without needing lights.

Hopefully I will be able to get out to this weekends session out at Waharau as it is a great ride.

I must start organising the 24 Moonride team, I have 4 others keen to enter an SS team. This event always sells out so I must get entry forms away in the next week.

Drive by Truckers are rocking my morning. I have just heard about them.

No comments: