Monday, March 20, 2006

Waharau Ride

Had a great ride out at Waharau on Saturday. Waharau is about an hour from the city on the Firth of Thames at the back of the Hunua ranges. The ride is a big uphill followed by an equal sized downhill, with a mix of open farm land and some awesome native bush single track.

The ride was a vaguely organised VORB ride and attracted 16 riders, which is a huge amount by Auckland standards. Mix of experienced and fit riders and the less fit.

We did the track in reverse, riding up the long slow 4 wheel drive road through farm land. The climb took about 2 hours with quite a few breaks to allow the slower riders to catch up and rest. The climb was a mix of gravel, dirt and grass and a good mix of gradual to steep gradient. I gave the rebuilt Cindercone its first work out and need to put a long stem on. I had real trouble keep the front end on the track on the steeper sections and with the crap tyres I am running I was losing traction when I stood up. I walked a bit of the steep stuff.

Once we got into the forest at the top of the climb there is a nice section of fast flowy single track across the ridge, followed by another climb to the top of the down hill section. Apart from 1 steep point the downhill was very smooth, tight and twisty in parts, but not overly technical. It was a seat down, hands off brakes rush down to the bottom.

It was an awesome ride, no injuries, the only mechanical was one rider losing his front brake fluid which at least meant he could ride on. It was very humid, I drained a 2 litre hydrapak by the end. there were a few broken riders.

Stopped off for fish, chips and a beer at the Kaiaua fish and chip shop before heading home.

great daybut I left my damn camera at home and the phone in the car.

No comments: