Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Enger-land

I guess as my flight was delayed by 3 hours officially it was 20 years ago tomorrow that I went to England on my big OE, but the ticket was booked for the 2 November 1985.

I went to England, land of my birth, as a single young man and returned 2 and a bit years later as an expectant father and husband. In that time I had gotten married, travelled a small part of Europe, had 2 jobs, met some great new people, and turned into an adult. It was a good experience.

I went to England to get myself out of the hole I was digging for myself in New Zealand, getting drunk all the time, occasional drug use, 1 drug related arrest - this was not what I wanted out of life, not that I had any idea of what I did want. While I did not kick any of those habits for a long time, and still do get drunk on the odd occasion, I did reduce them to a rare occurance. I

am not sure if I ever found what I was looking for, but I came back to NZ a contented man.

No comments: