Sunday, November 13, 2005

First go at a 'champs' race

After yesterday's 2 hour run/walk up the Waitakere's I was not sure how I would feel or go today. I had a lousy sleep as well, but the weather was fine, warm and sunny when I got up so off to Woodhill I went. I entered the sport vets class of round 3 of the Auckland MTB champs, which was a 2 lap race - each lap turned out to be about 13km.

Main tracks were Tree Huggers, Upland, Lightening, Enchanted Forest, Northern Exposure, No Brakes (my track - yay !), 1st half of Ironhorse, Anaconda, end of Haggis. Good tracks with plenty of climbing (by Woodhill standards anyway).

The race went well I finished in just under 1:40 I am not sure were I came as it started to rain at the end so I went home as I did not know any of the other competitors and it would have been an hour wait till prize giving. I hope to be on the positive side of mid-pack at the end, will have to wait a day or 2 for the results I guess.

I started slow, let the groms and other dead keen people fly off and cruised the first 5 or so KM, then started to pick them off as the burnt out from the quick start. I passed a lot of people and was only passed once myself. I was fine until the last 500 metres when my legs really started to hurt, I think they knew the end was coming and just said sod it.

Considering the run yesterday I was pretty happy with my ride, I am not sure if I will race the 4th round yet, it is getting too expensive to ride and run.

No comments: