Friday, November 11, 2005

Kaweka Challenge - the costs

I was meeting a friend for coffee yesterday afternoon and as he was running late and I was standing outside Katmandhu on Queen St I decided to nip in and grab their latest product catalogue to get some indicative pricing of the things I need to buy for the mountian run. This will also be the basis of my 'Christmas list'..

Even though the race is in February it still hits sub-alpine heights so there is quite a list of safety equipment that you have to carry to compete...

Thermal Gloves ??
Jacket have one
First aid kit have one
Thermal top have one
Thermal leggings have those
Whistle 10
Compass 25
Blanket 10
Bag to carry 170 light weight - good for running
Bladder 50
Shoes 250

Over $500 and I haven't even paid the entry fee and this is a running event - isn't running supposed to be cheap ?

I am going for a light run in the Waitakere ranges tomorrow morning with Bruce so I am really looking forward to my first off road running experience. I am hoping the knee will cope and my crappy old running shoes do not cause me any grief.

Then Sunday I am 'racing' in the XC Sport class. I have the Dawg in the shop getting the middle chain ring replaced today, so hopefully it will be all good for Sunday morning.

No comments: