Saturday, October 08, 2005

Lucero and alcohol



I like booze – I like what it does to me, I like the way I feel when I have had a few drinks. I am not a bad drunk, I do not get violent, I do not get angry, I do not want to be the centre of attention. I see things with more clarity with a skin full of cheap red wine, the world has more focus with a gin or 3 in the belly, Scotch whisky turns me into a thinker.

Tonight I have been out for a very pleasant, and long over-due dinner party with friends, the food was great, the conversation was interesting, the wine was pleasant, the beer refreshing. A perfect evening, but….. there was no music, I am in a space right now where I need music, not just any music, but music I like.

And right now I am needing Lucero. I am very addicted to this band, I have never been a big fan of country-tinged rock before but every track I have heard of this band has been stunning, from the rocky ballads to the acoustic piano driven songs, every thing is good. They obviously are filling a space in my head that needs filling right now.

I am liking Lucero tonight as I have been drinking and Lucero are definitely a bad with their sites set on those who like a drink, and those who drink alone are an extra special target.

I can confess to having my Lucero cravings sated by a Limewire session fix (or 10 Limewire sessions), but yesterday I did buy their new(ish) CD, which I like but I do much prefer their earlier material. The CD was produced by the same guy who did the Replacements “pleased to meet me” LP which I remember as being their worst. I will be trying to hunt down some older material as I am loathe to only have downloaded material from a band I really like.

I can also confess to not really being a drinker, tonight is a rare thing. I haven’t had a drink in a few weeks as I trained up for the solo, luckily I have a date with the TV tomorrow for a good 8 hours of motor racing so no bike riding or running will take place.

Though tonight I have agreed to do a 30km mountain bike race next weekend which is going to be painful, especially as my mate has very much over played how much I am going to kick his arse….

No comments: