Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Joy Division and alcohol

In a past life I had a passion for the music of Joy Division and a liking to the odd drink or 10. Over the years my passion for both has disipated and I rarely partake in either and even more rarely at both the same time.

When I split up with my first serious girlfriend in the early eighties I spent many an evening lying in my darkened bedroom drinking wine, smoking cigarettes and listening to Joy Division through headphones. I must have found it therapeutic as I survived those days.

Over the years I have occasionally repeated the exercise when I am feeling down and I have ready access to cheap red wine or scotch.

Though I am not in anyway feeling down tonight, I am sitting here in the lounge working on my laptop with the headphones on and the music player moving though my collection in alphabetical order. About half way through the second or third Joy Division song I found myself in the kitchen opening up a bottle of port I have had for about 2 years, and I am now into my third glass and 10th song.

I love Joy Division.

No comments: