Sunday, October 29, 2006

the week wrapped up.

It has been an interesting week, work has been as busy as usual and as frustrating as ever. I found that I slept really well over weekend but come Monday I slept badly again and have slept badly ever since. I am not really sure why I cannot sleep properly all the time I do not think I am overly stressed from work, certainly work is stressful but I have been in worse situations. I have decided on 2 courses of action, firstly I have long been thinking about starting something along the lines of yoga or tai chi. Primarily to help me relax, but also to help build some core strength, improve flexibility and balance and develop some breathing techniques. In the end I decided to try tai chi and the local high school has a community education course starting on Monday which I have signed up for. Secondly I have decided to give up coffee. I am going to reduce my intake this week with a plan to quit completely the following week, I am expecting a couple of weeks of hell when I stop though so I have started warning the family.

My youngest son, who turned 13 this week, has decided to join a few of his friends and play softball. This is pretty much going to kill Saturday morning riding. This weekend is out as it is the first game and I cannot miss that one. I am hoping/expecting my wife will go to every second game which means I can ride every second weekend at least. I hope to continue with the Tuesday night riding though.

With that in mind and with the Kaweka challenge coming up again February I am going to focus on running for a while, easier to get out and do before and after work - at least until I can get a decent bike for riding on the road. I am still keen to do the Kaweka run and then continue on and do a full Marathon later in the year. I will still do some events though, at least the last round of the Auckland champs and probably 1 or 2 24 hour team events depending on timing.

Yesterday we had my sons 13th birthday outing, we took him and 6 friends to the hot pools at Parakai for an afternoon session and BBQ dinner. At least with 12 and 13 year olds you do not need to watch them all the time, so my wife hung around the pool to provide food and drink and I got out for a run. I ran west for 45 minutes and then turned round and ran back. Fairly simple run, kept the pace down, though there was a reasonable westerly blowing. It was Ok, I was really knackered by the end and probably could not have gone out and done much more running. I think I could pull off a half marathon if I needed to right now but it would not be easy. Having said that in the last 8 days I have done a 1 hour run an hour twenty run and now an hour thirty, which is an awful lot more than in the last 3 or months so I should expect to be a bit tired. I will not run again until Thursday.

I hope to finally get the right seat post for the AC today...

No comments: