Thursday, January 19, 2006

Busted Wheel

Went out for an evening ride up at Woodhill last night with number 1 son and our normal Wed night riding crew. I rode the SS, and number 1 son had his AC 2.

The ride was going well, Mike and I decided to take the longer way to the Iron Horse track as the rest of the crew wanted to muck around on the jumps and Mike and I are not really that interested. He had not ridden up my track so it was a good excuse to introduce him to that 1.1km of goodness. The good news was I finally made the first climb on the SS, have never managed that before so I was well pleased. I am definately stronger than I was, so some of the hill running has paid off in climbing strength (maybe ?).

Mike and I finally caught up with the rest at the double jump at the end of Iron Horse where they were all huddled around Number 1 sons bike. When I go there I could see why, he had cased the landing on the jump, landing right on the lip of the wooden framing and totally smashed the rear wheel. The wheel was in 3 pieces ! fortunately he could ride the landing out, so was totally uh-hurt.


When we got the bike back to the carpark the wheel and son were the centre of attention for a while...
It looks like there is no damage to disk or the cluster - the cluster was new and installed that night, hub seems Ok so I could be up for just a rim and a rebuild...

One of our riding buddies is lending us a wheel so number 1 can go to Rotorua riding at the weekend.

No comments: