Saturday, January 13, 2007

Running is boring

OK, running is a little bit boring, but not too bad, writing about going for a run is boring however, and I expect reading about someone who has been on a meaningless 5k run is more boring than writing about it. But that is what my life is going to be for the next 3 months as I train for this first marathon.

I could write about work but, man, that is even worse. Photography hasnt really started for me yet, though I hope to get some in this weekend. I have a few projects I am going to focus on - graffiti, bands, blue skies, punk/metal/goth people and imagery, but I will snap anything that is of interest.

Anyway back to the running.

As we were childless after work on Thursday my wife and I decided to go for a run along the waterfront, and she would have a go at 5 kms. We drove back into the city and out to the end of St Heliers beach, at the start of the marked 10 km run. It was quite windy and very humid though it wasn’t raining at least. We took a very slow jog from St Heliers to the traffic lights in Mission Bay and back again, Deana stopped about 100 metres from the end but I made her carry on so she achieved her goal. It was her longest run in many many years and a good achievement.

It was good for me to run slowly, I need to learn how to do this for the longer runs that are coming up soon.

This weekend I have two 10k runs scheduled, the forecast is awful for the whole weekend with strong winds, rain and high humidity set for the next three or four days. I was hoping to get and do something fun with the youngest over the weekend as he will be away for the next couple at least.

As the weather was so pants I got up late and had coffee and toast before heading out for a slow 10km at 8.30. My aim was to take my time and keep the pace down to a bare minimum but pick up the pace for the small climbs scattered along the course. I ran down Godley Rd, up past Craigavon park to Blockhouse Bay, along BHB Rd to Wolverton Rd, back down Portage and up Godley. It took 1 hour 5 and I am guessing it was between 10 and 11k, though I am not overly concerned about time on the slow runs. Tomorrow I am doing a faster 10k and will stick to the tried and true Titirangi Rd loop.

The damn MP3 playing mobile phone had a flat battery this morning, that just sucks, I do like to run to loud music, I have charged it up again for the run tomorrow but I think the battery is screwed. I am going to have buy myself a proper MP3 player I guess.

Having a play with the camera today, Hope to get out to Whatipu or one of the wild west coast beaches tomorrow to get some ‘stormy’ weather photos.

On Friday I finally managed to get a copy of the new Mint Chicks CD “Crazy Yes, Dumb No”. It was voted in numerous productions as one of the albums of 2006 so naturally it sold out, though I expecting it will sit un-played in a few collections. I have only had 1 listen and it is not as loud and fun as the first album “f**k the golden youth, but not too bad at all.

In celebration of listening to loud fast guitar pop (and I try to only listen to vinyl in the house as I cannot play it in the car !) I am listening a couple of early Soup Dragons EP’s. They are very Buzzcocksy, but with their own twist, they are such good EP’s, as is often the case the LP and everything since was crap.

No comments: