Thursday, January 11, 2007

Hog run

The first Loaded Hog run of 2007 took place on Tuesday night, I had brought my running gear into work on the off chance my wife would join me in town for a quick run along the waterfront after work. The weather was vile, windy and wet, so it was no surprise when she did not come in. I was on my way home when one of the guys asked if I was running as he was going to attend, so I made my way to the car to get my gear instead.

As I headed out from the hog for a 5 minute warm up the heavens opened up and it poured down, it was not the most inspiring warm up ever ! The actual race was run with only a small amount of drizzle but the wind was quite strong. The pace was lightening fast and as usual I went out to quickly and was being passed by loads of people by the first kilometre as I started to drop back to the correct pace. I thought I was struggling by the time we hit the half way turn around point but my watch said slightly over 10 minutes which is pretty quick for me. The second half was harder but I kept to a reasonable pace and finished in 22:18 which I was pretty happy with, considering I had run 21k 2 days before. Sadly my work mate beat me !

My father in law has been slowly dying from gall bladder cancer for a while now and we got the message last night that he has 4 weeks left to go. My wife and youngest son are going to head over to Australia next week for a while and spend some time with him. I will head over later for the funeral I guess. Not the best news, but it is good to finally get some closure I guess.

My wife is 11 days into non-smoking and has started some slow jogging. When I got home from work tonight we went out for a slow jog along Exhibition drive. My program has me doing a slow 5 km so we started on that to see how she would go, in the end she turned around at the 2 km mark, but that is a pretty good effort some one who hasn’t run for a while. I cruised on and finished a 5kmer. It was quite humid and warm, but at least it was not raining and windy.

I sat down to load a marathon training schedule into Excel last night. It is quite scary how many klicks I have to run to be ready, I look at this schedule and find it hard to believe I will be able to do it. Slow and steady will be the way to go, I am doing lots of reading on training and rest and diet to keep me motivated and I have 3 half marathons along the way. I just hope my right knee holds out !

I think I will be dropping all riding for the next 3 and half months, the Colville race is out, I cannot train and compete in both events I am just not anywhere near fit enough. Though with wife and youngest in Aussie next weekend I might squeeze in a 21km run on Saturday and do the Vorb Waharau ride on Sunday, slow and easy ride (push up the hills) though. I should get the bike ready this weekend in case.

No comments: