Sunday, July 23, 2006

Bugger bugger bugger !

In preparation for the team 12 hour event I am doing next Saturday I pulled the SS to bits and gave her a good old clean. I haven’t even had the rear wheel off since the race in May, and cleaning has been more of a wave the hose over the worst of the dirt since then as well.

As well as cleaning and lubing the bike I intended on swapping the platform SPD pedals for the XC spuds, as well fitting the front disk brakes with new pads and putting new cleats on the Nike shoes.

So yesterday afternoon I took the wheels, pedals and chain off and gave her a good clean. gentle brush, rag, toothbrush for the nooks and crannies. She was looking pretty clean by the end of it.

Today after everything had dried off I started to reassemble, first the chain, wiped it down after it had dried off and found I must have dropped the quick lines into the soapy water bowl with the chain. Sadly I threw the dirty water into the weed patch behind the shed yesterday afternoon, quick links – long gone…. OK, I thought, not a biggie I can pick up some more Monday, I will just get the chain back on and carry on assembling and getting things ready.

Next up pedals. Hmmmmm next issue – the crank was pretty old and had already been stripped once and had an insert put in, this was also pretty much wrecked and I could not get the pedal in… Shit. OK, I will swap the cranks from the Cindercone, rang a friend and drove round to get his crank puller. Pulled the square splined crank from the SS and then found the Cindercone had a isis crank. Shit shit shit. Time for a new plan…

Well I go the brake pads changed successfully anyway…

Now I need to find cranks or arrange to swap the BB and cranks between bikes by Thursday when I go riding before the race on Saturday.

I should have stayed in bed.

No comments: