Saturday, February 03, 2007

Rotorua ride

The great weather has continued through out the week though the wind has not yet dropped. El Nino summer means it probably will be windy for a while.

I had a good run after work on Thursday, did another 10ker along the waterfront, warm evening again and the wind had shifted so it was not so telling but it still had an impact in a couple of places.

After work last night I went up to One Tree Hill to take some pictures and try and get a decent sun set shot. It was horrendously windy there and the sun set was not too exciting so I went home for another quiet night in alone.

Today I was up early with the intention of remotely booting a server and then driving to Rotorua for a ride with a few Vorb guys. My plan was to leave 45 minutes earlier than I need to and take some photos of anything that caught my eye in the early morning sun on the way. Unfortunately the remote reboot didn’t work and I had to go into the office and physically restart the box. This pretty much screwed my photography plans ! Apart from a couple of bad patches I had a good ride down to Rotorua, I stopped to take a photo of this shack. I have been wanting to take photos of it for years as it has been decaying for a long time. I plan on snapping it every time I go down.



Had a great ride with 3 guys and a girl from Wellington and 1 from Tauranga. We rode the road to A trail and then Tickler and then ground and in my case walked to the top of Hot Cross Buns (HXB), I am struggling to climb on the DMR at the moment, the climb is averagely steep and has a spongy loose surface and I find it too hard to maintain traction on the SS. Easier to walk ! HXB is riding sweetly, it has been fairly cut up as they are now shuttling up there so there are a lot more riders going up now, I had a bit more fun as the rear brake pads are worn out, I hucked one small jump and almost went off the side of the track as I just about failed to slow enough to get round the following corner. The guys sessioned the jumps at the end of HXB for a while and I took a couple of photos.





After HXB we rode up to the Rollercoaster, which is rapidly becoming one of my favourites, through Chinese menu (Chop Suey, Spring Roll and Sweet and Sour) not bad trails though the Sour bit is a bit of a grind. These take you back to the top of Be Rude Not Too, which is a favorite, the trail is just so quick, fairly flowy with a couple of nice little drops to get some air under the tyres. Tauranga rider left us for the car park at the start of Diamonback. It is a toss up which is the better trail out of Diamondback and BRNT, though I bottomed by forks on an early drop and broke my speedo cable, third cable broken… I lost the rest of the guys while I tried to sort out so kinds sifty rode the rest of the trail, nailing it on the berm sections though as you just have to…

We stopped for lunch at Zippy’s CafĂ© which was damn good and then I made the two and half hour drive home happy and pretty tired.

18k run tomorrow morning !

No comments: