Monday, February 19, 2007

Gold Coast trip

It has been an interesting two weeks since the last post.

The first few days I did not do much that was post worthy, was really busy at work, did a couple of light training runs in preparation for the Pukekohe half marathon and didn't go out taking photos. Youngest did start his first year at high school, he seemed to enjoy it and is in a class with one of his good mates which is cool.

On the Friday morning I had the call from my wife that I had been waiting on, that my father in law had passed away peacefully in his sleep and the funeral was on Tuesday. I spent most of Friday arranging flights and places for youngest son to stay and booked myself a trip to the Gold Coast for Sunday morning returning on Wednesday night. Sunday was going to be my first half marathon of the season and a part of my training program, but as always, family comes first. The following Saturday was manic with youngest’s softball, shopping and work.

Sunday morning I was the airport at 7.00 AM for a not bad flight to Brisbane airport, I was met by my wife and brother in law who had just landed from a flight from Canberra. It was great to see my wife again after over 3 weeks. The next couple of days passed in a blur of shopping, lounging around, cleaning out the garage at my father in laws, getting utterly soaked by the rain and eating and drinking loads of wine. I took a few photos, but the weather was not kind, very heavy rain and I was juts not geared up to get myself and my camera gear too wet.

Rainy in Paradise



The funeral on the Tuesday passed with out a hitch and the wake was held at my mother in laws house, it was a small quiet affair. I took a few photos for one of my brother in laws who was on his way to Ecuador and un able to attend. The following day my wife and I were up around 4.45 AM and drove down to Surfers for a walk along the beach, a big breakie and a swim in the sea. The surf was crap sadly, but the walk and breakfast was great !





Soon after that I was back on the plane and flying back to New Zealand. My plane was delayed so I did not get home until after 2 AM and I was up at 7.30 the next day when youngest came home from his friends house for breakfast and to get ready for school.

No comments: