Monday, February 26, 2007

Back into the training

On Monday night youngest had a kayaking and BBQ evening with scouts out at Cornwallis Wharf. I decided to run out there from home after work as a penance for not training for a while and to kick my training back off again.

The run is only 15km but there are a couple of quite tasty climbs with a very steep climb in the middle to contend with. Naturally the evening was warm! One of the girls at work had recently leant me one of those running belt thingies with 4 small water bottles on it, so I filled a couple of those with tap water and left home. I struggled to begin with but soon got into a rhythm up Titirangi Rd and through Exhibition drive. I kept the pace right down due to the heat and my lack of running though I was soon sweating like mad, I kept up a low fluid intake from about 30 minutes of running and I do think that made a difference. I managed to jog all the way up the ‘hill’ which pleased me as it is damn steep and is 10km into a hilly run. The rest of the way is not too bad, one other climb which is easy compared to the ‘hill’ and the last two kms are pretty much down hill. The run took 1:40 which I was happy with considering my two weeks off and this was the hilliest run I have done and even better I was not utterly broken at the end.

I was looking forward to jumping in the sea for a cool down swim when I arrived but the tied was miles out and I did not fancy a 100 metres slog through the mud to get me knees wet, so a disappointing end to a decent run.

I have decided to go back there one evening, my car ! when the tide is high and take some photos

I had Tuesday off and did a quick 8km block run on Wednesday night, I started off slow and then picked the pace up through the middle, I was feeling the effects of Monday night and the heat by the end though. When I got home and checked the time I saw that I had posted one of, if not the, fastest times for the Godley/Portage/Astley/Taupo loops.

I took the camera to work on Friday as I had seen a bit of street 'theatre' I wanted to shoot on Wednesday and I was it was still there. It was and here it is, I also liked these jandals !

My next run was on Friday night, again it was warm, I think warmer than Monday and I left fairly soon after work for a 13km loop from home up through Titirangi and Exhibition drive again, but this time I turned round at the end and ran home. I managed a good pace up the hill to Titirangi and was feeling pretty strong at the top so decided to keep the pace going and see if I could do a good time. I felt good all the way though to end with a slower patch in the middle to ‘save myself’ for the finish. I have not checked thoroughly back through my records but my time of 1:09 was the fastest I have found. I was utterly soaked in sweat by the time I got home as well which was rather unpleasant !

After the run on Friday night Deana and I watched “Thank you for smoking” – what a great film, found it so funny, especially as I am an ex-smoker. The best movie I have seen for a while.

Saturday I was up early (but not as bad as Friday when I was up at 6.00 to take number 1 son to work) and on the road to Tauranga where the office was moving locations, at least 100 metres up the road. The day went well, bit of down time in the middle of the day when I should have fed better than 2 bits of cold pizza (in hindsight !). I had all tasks done and was out of there for the drive home at 8.00 PM and home by 10:30 which was good. As I was home early enough I decided I would do the Cathay Pacific Half Marathon the following day. Wish I had eaten better…..


No comments: