Monday, August 29, 2005

Riding - riding - digging - riding

I had a very bike related weekend which, given the fact the 12 hour is now just 5 weekends away, was desperately needed. I still did not do as much as I wanted though, plus Saturday night my plan to only have a couple of glasses of wine had well and truly failed after the 8th , and not final, glass.

Saturday I went out to Woodhill to dig and meet up with some Vorb guys for a sifty ride. I rode with them for a couple of hours, did not do a lot of miles but I did get the single speed off the ground which was very good. I have not been doing any jumps at all for such a long time, even the small easy ones have been avoided this year. The older I get the more conservative my riding has become. So it was great to hit a couple of the easier 3 X jumps and just get some flow back. Unfortunately I did break a spoke on my rear wheel I discovered when I got home. So that is more cost, Sunday I damaged the brake lever on Dom's AC and I need new rear brak pads and disk for the Dawg and I have somehow lost one of my 2 short sleaved riding shirts - this sport is not cheap.


I then spent a couple of hours digging the new track, I completely redesigned the entry though I cannot avoid a short sharp climb that I cannot get up on the single speed. I think once the track has been ridden a bit and bedded down it will be rideable on the SS. I then went up and finished a small berm I was working on then rode the whole track and noticed there is still quite a lot of clean up work required.

Sunday I took Dom up to the forest and he rode with Darin, Wayne and Cam and I went off and did a 2 hour slow session (I used the HRM to keep focused) on the Dawg. I rode the the new track twice, got up the first hill the first time but not the second, even with gears it is a tough climb on the soft fresh ground. The track is 1100 metres long and is almost entirely up hill, though in the main the gradient is pretty shallow. It is the longest climb in the park - which was my objective.

No comments: