Friday, August 26, 2005

Day Night Thriller 12 hour MTB race

I sent the registrations off for the Day Night Thriller this week. I was hoping to have a fairly small crew of regular riders coming but we seemed to have ended up with a cast of thousands again with 2 * 5 person and 1 * 3 person team, as well as myself riding solo. I am a bit disappointed that people kept inviting their mates, as last year it was just a pain the arse having 3 teams, with a number of non-regular riders. While we do not take the team racing too seriously - to me there is always some element of competition in these events. I like to ride the hardest and fastest I can, prepare for each lap, eat and drink right during the day and it annoys me when others do not treat the day the same. Maybe I need to change

I have registered myself as a 12 hour solo so I am going to treat this year seriously, at least I won’t be sitting around the site getting frustrated with the sifters. I am however going to really have to kick the training along, the event is in 5 weeks and I have no long rides under my belt. This weekend I hope to get the trail digging finished so my track is ride-able and then at least I can focus on riding. Aiden has gone to scout camp so I will dig Saturday and ride Sunday morning, try and squeeze 3 hours riding in, which will be a good indicator of where I am at.

I have been doing 3 nights a week on the trainer and have got a couple of small runs in as well. The diet has improved over the last 3 weeks, no alcohol, less ice cream and other junk, I have noticed my weight has dropped and I "feel" leaner. I must get some scales. I am not so much worried about weight, more about carrying un-productive body mass around on a bike for 12 hours. Hopefully this time I can keep the momentum up until the event.

No comments: