Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The New Job

The new job is going OK. I am wondering if this is work is supposed to be like.

I have my own office - this is the coolest thing in the world, I have been in open plan for the past 8 or so years so it just so cool to slob in the office, play music, type stuff on the computer and if I cannot be bothered with people, I dont have to.

I turn up at 7.30 AM, and there are only a couple of people here, I get breakfast and a coffee then surf the net reading blogs, doing my personal email and, currently, organising stuff for the Day Night Thriller in 6 weeks time. This takes up about an hour when the rest of the company start arriving.

I do "stuff" during the day, as I am not really operational I do not get involved in the murky dealings of helpdesk queries and "urgent" requests. Though the whole outsourced helpdesk option is up for review when I have completed the system review, but for now, though it is my responsibility, I do not have to get involved at the sticky end.

I have lunch - so far (4 weeks in) I have managed to go for a walk every day, just to get out of the office and breath some air is just great, I cannot wait for summer.

At 5.00 I go home ! and when I get there I do not do work stuff.

The downsides
- There is no shower here so I cannot easily ride to work in summer and a lunch time run is just painful as I would have to go to a gym and pay to shower. It may come to that later in the year. - The people here are not as nice as the last place, given that I have only been here a few weeks, and I am in an office! I can accept that I have to grow on them.
- I have to wear a suit, at least a collar and tie - that sucks..

All up - a good move - I just hope I do not get bored here.

No comments: