Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I was going to join the gym

When I finally arrived back in New Zealand after my 7 day hospital stay in Hong Kong I was down to 75kg. This is the lightest I have been for what seems like forever. Even after 5 months of marathon training I only just broke the 80kg barrier around the time of the marathon. With almost 3 months off of any real aerobic exercise I had got back up to 83kg before I was sick. Sadly most or the weight loss was in my legs and glutes, though some body fat did go as well.

Once the cause of the infection was found and the correct anti-biotics given I stopped losing the weight and over the next few weeks started to recover what I had lost in mass, unfortunately it all appears to be gathering around my waist.

I am back into some light exercise again but with Christmas around the corner my diet is not the best either so I will be aiming to manage my weight and fitness until the new year.

I was given an option for another 2 weeks free at the local gym. I dropped in after work last night but it looks like it was going to be too much effort to get signed up after previously having a free fortnight a couple of years back. Given that I had semi-major surgery not that long ago and would be unable to use a lot of the equipment I decided to just stick with light running and riding until I am able to apply some pressure to my trunk.

I went for a light run along Exhibition Drive last night, 6.5 km of unsealed road. It is a nice flat run with no cars and great for getting back into things. I was really humid and warm and I suffered for the first kilometre until my ankle warmed up and I could get into a shuffling rhythm. I had a small amount of pain from my surgery but it was not unbearable and soon went away once I got my breathing sorted. The second half of the run was much easier than the first and I managed a couple of kilometres with a reasonable amount of fluidity. A slow run, but I believe I am getting better each time.

No comments: