Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Eve

Well, here I am, Christmas morning and I am sitting alone in bed with my computer on my lap typing up a blog entry listening to Diary of Dreams. My wife and youngest son are in Australia with her dying mother, my oldest son is staying the night at his girlfriends and my daughter is flatting. At least they will be coming here later this morning and we will all head up to Mangawhai to spend the afternoon with my sisters family and mum.

My love for photography and my belief in myself as a photographer go through a fairly regular up and down cycle. The ups ae ususally bought on by taking one or a set of pictures I really like and then downs by the lack if being able to see anything at all. One of my Flickr friends has just posted a small set of images taken from Murawai the other night. I look at her pictures and I wonder if we went to the same place, here is a link to one of her shots. Eva's photos always inspire me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/czakusia/2132295179/

What I find most frustrating is I walked past this scene on the way back to the car but was busy talking to someone and did not stop for a while, I even looked at the rocks and the sun and thought about stopping but did not. This is the key difference between being a good and a bad photographer. Taking those opportunities to stop and photograph the possibilites. Some days I could just kick myself.

Yesterday was an OK day at work, averagely busy though there was a real sense of disinterest through out the office. Fortunately we all got to leave early and I walked around to some friends house for a drink and some food. Had a pleasant evening talking shit and they offered to drive me home.

I had a couple of “where are you, and when are you coming home texts” from number 1 son and he told me he was going to wait at home till I got there and then disappear to his girlfriends for the night as he wanted to give me his Christmas present.

All I could really say was wow ! He had made us a coffee table at work. It has been beautifully constructed from hard wood, with a top of inlayed wood. It really is a magnificent piece of work and I was so proud of what he had done. Like his late grandad he is a real craftsman.

Here is a quick shot of it I took last night.

No comments: